The Symposium will be held in the Institute for Physics of Microstructres in Nizhny Novgorod.
Institute for Physics of Microstructures
The Institute for Physics of Microstructures of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IPM) was founded on the base on the Solid State Physics Division of the Institute of Applied Physics of Russian Academy of Science in 1993. Since 2016 IPM is a branch of the Federal Research Centre “Institute of Applied Physics of Russian Academy of Science”. The main scientific directions of IPM include physics,technology and diagnostics of solid-state micro- andnanostructures, multilayer x-ray and UV optics, silicon optoelectronics, spectroscopy, spectrometry and electronics of THz and subTHz ranges, physics of superconductors and superconductor electronics.
IPM staff numbers 275 employees, including more than 180 researchers (25 with doctoral (habilitated) degrees and 86 PhD, 11 PhD students). The Institute has close collaboration with National Research Lobachevsky State University of Nizhny Novgorod (UNN) with more than 20 IPM employees teaching at UNN.
IPM activity in the fields of THz physics, devices and technologies includes:
- n-Si lasers, operating at optical transitions between excited and ground states of donor impurities;
- magnetospectroscopy of 2D topological insulators;
- photoluminescence and stimulated emission in HgTe/CdHgTe quantum wells;
- subTHz radiovision based on low-barrier InAlGaAs/GaAs Shottky diodes;
- sub THz radiation from arrays of synchronized Josephson junctions;
- development “phase locked loop” subTHz spectrometers;
- high resolution gas spectroscopy for medical diagnostics, environment monitoring etc.
Nizhny Novgorod is the fifth-largest city in Russia with population of 1.25 million people.
The city is an important economic, transportation, scientific, educational and cultural center in Russia and is the main center of river tourism in Russia. In the historic part of the city there is a large number of universities, theaters, museums and churches. Nizhny Novgorod is located about 400 km east of Moscow, where the Oka River empties into the Volga. From 1932 to 1990, it was known as Gorky after the writer Maxim Gorky, who was born there.
The city was founded in 1221 by Prince Yuri II of Vladimir. In 1612 Kuzma Minin and Prince Dmitry Pozharsky organized an army for the liberation of Moscow from the Poles. In 1817 Nizhny Novgorod became a great trade center of the Russian Empire. In 1896 at a fair, an All-Russia Exhibition was organized. During the Soviet period, the city turned into an important industrial center. In particular, the Gorky Automobile Plant was constructed in this period. During World War II, Gorky became the biggest provider of military equipment to the Eastern Front.